Sunday 7 December 2008

One word Fur!






















Its one of those few words you can just say and it brings controversy! Over recent weeks as the climate has dropped I have seen an increasing number of real fur coats being worn around uni!
But when it comes to Fur its difficult. Fur has been viewed for its practicality for warmth and sustainability as reasons behind it’s purpose. But with more animal rights campaigners, campaigning against the cruelty of animals, how come there has been an increasing level of real fur being worn? D&G, Fendi and Versace started the fur revolution in the 1990’s. But campaigns against fur has risen, with demonstrations on catwalk shows. A protester even appeared on Sex and the City against Samantha’s White fox fur coat, covering her in a splash of paint!

I wear vintage fur pieces that have been passed down from my grandmother. I view them with sentimental value and meaning. Does this make me a cynic? I classify myself as an ethical shopper but does this mean I go against the grain of ethical values?

Wound magazine recently wrote an article ‘A History of Men in Fur’s’, bringing light into historical issues into wearing fur. It may not be available on the high street but there is an escalating level of luxury brands using it from A/W 08 and A/W 09. Was interesting to see fur on the catwalk of Clothes show live 2008. From a distance it was difficult to see if it was real or faux. While there I also came across Furnatic, a stall selling faux fur to the highest standard I have ever seen. Was interesting that two shoppers passing commented, ‘I don’t understand the fact that if people don’t like fur and are against it then why buy something that looks just like it?.’ From hearing this it did make me wonder?

Graduate Fashion week has banned furs and it would be surprising if the commercial clothes show would allow it? I really don’t know the answer and I don’t think there is one. Is vintage fur ok to wear? In my eyes its more acceptable in the fact what if it was not worn what else would you do with it? I am fully against new fur- from insight from the media of its production. But those against fur wearers ask yourself do you wear suede or leather?- isn’t it the same thing???

No comments: